Today I wet felted the whole batch of texel wool roving, to make my own version of giant yarn. If it works, the cat baskets are back on. This is a very exciting prospect for me, and worth the effort.
And it took quite a bit of effort too, transforming this
and hanging it out to dry.
Three and a half kilos of wet wool is really heavy, as I found when I lugged it down the stairs and into the garden. It drips a lot, so that was the best place for it.
It took me about 4 hours to process the whole batch, including a couple of false starts and working out the best approach. There is nothing online that shows you how to do this (believe me, I looked!) So it was a matter of trial and error. I can see how my technique improved as I went along. I needed to achieve an even thickness of yarn whilst not disrupting the fibres too much. From about halfway through, I was happy with the result.
The new yarn is a lot thicker than the yarn I used before, so I will need to re-write my patterns and possibly use larger doublepins than the set I have now. Giant wooden knitting needles are easily available, as are giant circulars, but giant doublepins are rare so will probably need to be custom-made….
I’m very excited about getting my new yarn onto some needles soon! Watch this space…