…and they’ve been well and truly road-tested by all three crew members. I think we have the seal of approval.
It was useful to make two baskets. One came out a bit tighter than the other, and that turned out to be the best one. This is because, over a few days’ constant use, they stretch. So the looser basket has ended up a bit on the floppy side, and the tighter basket is just about right. Also, as I knitted the base more tightly, the sides appear taller.
The crew spent hours lounging around in their new beds, which enabled us to take lots of scrumptious photos of them. My partner is a professional photographer (thesheffieldlens.com) – I am sure you can tell which are his pictures and which one is off my iphone!
I am excited to make the next batch. I might try a different colour, or at least, a different sheep….
The new yarn is on the needles, and the cat basket is in progress…
Wow this yarn is even better than I expected. It’s bigger and thicker than the yarn I used for the original baskets. And it knits up fine using the needles I already have. So I don’t have to order a load more knitting needles to be custom-made in bigger sizes.
I have amended my pattern slightly to accommodate the thicker yarn. I was a bit worried that I hadn’t maintained an even thickness and twist on all of it. After all, the wet felting was a bit of an experiment. But working the yarn, it doesn’t seem to matter. There is enough twist and felting to give it a bit of structure. In fact, I think it performs even better than the old yarn.
It’s easier to get a flatter base.
It’s softer, less like rope. More like a big, squishy soft strand.
It’s got that characteristic, fleecy scent.
The stitches are massive, with loads more visual impact.
And….the cats love it.
It’s not finished yet, Monty.
Today I wet felted the whole batch of texel wool roving, to make my own version of giant yarn. If it works, the cat baskets are back on. This is a very exciting prospect for me, and worth the effort.
And it took quite a bit of effort too, transforming this
and hanging it out to dry.
Three and a half kilos of wet wool is really heavy, as I found when I lugged it down the stairs and into the garden. It drips a lot, so that was the best place for it.
It took me about 4 hours to process the whole batch, including a couple of false starts and working out the best approach. There is nothing online that shows you how to do this (believe me, I looked!) So it was a matter of trial and error. I can see how my technique improved as I went along. I needed to achieve an even thickness of yarn whilst not disrupting the fibres too much. From about halfway through, I was happy with the result.
The new yarn is a lot thicker than the yarn I used before, so I will need to re-write my patterns and possibly use larger doublepins than the set I have now. Giant wooden knitting needles are easily available, as are giant circulars, but giant doublepins are rare so will probably need to be custom-made….
I’m very excited about getting my new yarn onto some needles soon! Watch this space…